Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The North Shore



Aloha!

From time to time, I get an overwhelming sensation of gratitude. It flushes over me like a gust of wind, flowing down my body. To have this opportunity, to minimize worry, stress, obligation, and maximize pleasure, peace, joy is amazing. To focus on myself, listen to my body, and quiet my mind. I go hours and hours without speaking, just observing, reflecting on the beauty that surrounds me. When the wind blows, the palm branches gently rub against one another creating a beautiful white noise, relaxing my mind. Birds sing back and forth, children laugh, waves lap the shore. My mind dances from place to place, never really resting too long on one thing.





Exploring this island is on the top of my to-do list, so I packed a lunch and headed for the North Shore. It is a string of sleepy surf towns laced up the coast, lined with surf boards, shrimp shacks, and surf shops. In the winter, the waves are extraordinary, left only for extremists and professionals. But this time of year they are quiet and subdued, perfect for the rest of us. I drove up route 83 around the northern tip of the island. The two lane road echoed the shore most of the hour and a half drive, with beach access every half a mile or so. Tiny parking lots opened to white sand and aquamarine waters, each one more beautiful than the next. I stumbled across a humpback whale sancuary in PuPukea Beach Park, where from December to May they mate, calve and nurse. But now it is a divinely shallow, protected area perfect for exploration. The rocks that dot the floor and hug the pool are extremely sharp and jagged, in beautiful contrast with the soft white sand surrounding them.

Every few miles, I pull over and capture more and more beauty. It takes me all afternoon to wind up and around the North Shore, and over 400 pictures later, I begin to head back. The island music is intoxicating, singing of love and happiness. The salty air and island sun wrap around me like a blanket, so warm and satisfying, flooding my mind with only one word. GRATITUDE.


Warmest Aloha!

Love,
Courtney




[Things that made me smile today: Finding the whale sanctuary, catching up with a dear friend, driving with the windows down.

No comments:

Post a Comment